Sunday, July 14, 2013

On The George Zimmerman Trial Verdict: Not Guilty???

Tonight I have gone back and forth between several emotions. One moment I'm sad. The next minute I am angry. The jury in the Zimmerman Trial sent a clear message tonight. As far as I am concerned the message was two-fold. #1- It's still open season on the young black seed. #2 The life of a person of color does not hold as much value. I reject that message.

I honestly see this moment as our generation's "Emmit Till" moment. Emmit Till's murder in 1955 is often cited as being a critical Tipping Point in mobilizing the Civil Rights Movement. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/ This has to be a wake up call and a call to action. Just last month, the Supreme Court invalidated a key provision under the Voting Rights Act that will make it even easier to restrict the votes of minorities. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us/supreme-court-ruling.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As our thoughts and prayers are with the Martin Family, I can not help but hope and pray that we do not let this moment just pass us by. I hope that we do not return to business as usual on Monday Morning. I hope we each search for all means available to get active and defend our liberties. We owe it to the generation coming up after us as well as the generation that fought to secure the rights that are often taken for granted...until days like this. http://newjimcrow.com/

“The Eyes of the Future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time.” ― Terry Tempest Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment